Thursday, August 30, 2007

A defense second to none for No. 1 - Portland Oregonian
...even if the offense develops slowly, it probably won't matter -- not with linebackers Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga and Keith Rivers knocking people around and pass rusher Lawrence Jackson coming hard off the edge.

Then there is Mays, a difference-maker in the secondary, especially now that he has a firmer grasp of coach Pete Carroll's sophisticated defense.

Mays said he was still puzzling it out when he was thrown into action last season against Nebraska. The result: five tackles in the Trojans' 28-10 victory.

"Physically, I knew I could play," Mays said. "It was more the mental part, knowing where I needed to be on the field. I don't think I really understood everything until after the season, when we got into spring ball. That's when I really started understanding what was going on."...

Also, USC's best defense? - OC Register

No comments: