Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ex-Fort football star Claridge dies at age 27 - The Columbian
..."I can't imagine what happened to a young, athletic physical specimen like Travis Claridge. Just a shock. It leaves a hole in my heart," said Gary Boggs, Claridge's football coach at Fort Vancouver...

...By the time Claridge finished his college career in 1999, he started 48 consecutive games, a USC record for a lineman. Yet, the playing streak never seemed to mean much to Claridge, because during that four-year period, the Trojans were 26-22.

"Tell me what I could feel good about?" Claridge said at the time. "I never thought in a million years I'd be sitting here with this many losses in my senior season (six), or in my SC career."...

...Claridge signed a two-year, $2.5 million contract with Carolina in 2004. Shortly after signing the contract, Claridge told The Columbian that he planned to donate some money toward a school where his mother teaches in Detroit, as well as to Fort Vancouver...

...Claridge couldn't claim most of the contract, though, as Carolina cut him during training camp...

No comments: