Friday, April 25, 2008

Shattered Dreams - Arizona Republic
Serving up pizza and iced tea to hungry folks at her parents' restaurant in Prescott is not where Kalyn Keller pictured herself...

...Kalyn, a graduate of Arcadia High School, and student at the University of Southern California, competed in the 2004 Summer Games in Athens, Greece...

..."The last thing you're thinking of going into a big competition is I wonder what the bad bacteria count in this water is. You expect that all these things have been discussed and taken care of before."

Kalyn was diagnosed with Crohn's, a chronic inflammatory bowel disease of the intestines...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Keller, Just in case you happen to read the posts on the articles recently watched and written in the past couple days, I can relate to your emotions and how you might be feeling right now. I was a swimmer ( ButterFly ), and I was knocked out of the sport I loved around 14 but back then 25 years ago they did not have a clue to what Crohn's was and it is still not widely talked about like I would like anyway. If you feel you are up to walking on May 10th,2008 at the phoenix cardinal Stadium @ 5pm there is a Crohn's & Colitis walk run marathon. I have had 7 bowel Surgeries, and if your not in the frame of mind right now to chat or walk I understand, but please listen and research Crohn's and think about going to Cedar Sinai Hospital/doctors in Hollywood, CA. They have an IBD/Crohn's clinic, you see the head doctor and he goes through all of your med history, then tells you what he thinks and how he would direct you. Then once you have a plan he will work with your local Doctor on what might be your best plan of attack. If you have to have surgery(G-d I pray you don't and make it a last result)Dr. Phillip Fleshner at Cedar's Sinai did my 7th Bowel surgery, and I did my research on him and he is one of the best in the country. He does nothing but Crohn's Surgeries(or at least through 2005). Please email me if you would like. movingon1987@gmail.com Samm